This policy is designed ensure that the introduction of new products into the Trust is strictly controlled and in doing so, help to ensure that the products used by the Trust are safe, clinically effective, and provide the best value for money.
The Clinical Products Review Group (CPRG) is in place to ensure the availability of products that lead to better care and superior patient outcomes while balancing the financial need to maximise efficiency and reduce costs. This is accomplished through robust analysis of potential products to be introduced using clinical and financial data.
This policy applies to all medical products and consumables including those brought into the Trust as part of an equipment trial.
All requests for introduction of new products or trials of new products will be made on the Request for Product Introduction form attached (Appendix 2).
The purpose of this policy is:
- To identify the responsibilities for the selection and purchase of products;
- To provide a process for selection and purchase of products used across multiple departments of the Trust and to ensure that standardisation of products is used where appropriate to drive quality and increased value;
- To ensure that there is appropriate clinical and wider stakeholder input into decisions on product selection;
- To ensure that existing and new products are safe to use, clinically effective, and provide the best value for money;
- To ensure that decisions on the procurement of products are robust and transparent.
|Compiled by:||Associate Director of Procurement|
|Ratified by:||Finance and Procurement Strategic Management Group|
|Date Ratified:||June 2021|
|Date Issued:||May 2021|
|Review Date:||June 2024|
|Target Audience:||All staff|
|Contact name:||Associate Director of Procurement|